SuperDee's House

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Umphday #1

Night one of three at the Great American was a hot one out of the gates. Conspirator - Marc Brownstein and Aron Magner's new(ish) project - opened the show. There were a handful of Bisco People out on the scene which made for a fun mix of old and new in the crowd. The music was awesome - I love the Conspiring sound! I was standing on the side talking with Jake for a bit while they were on and we were just looking around the Great American admiring its beauty and getting ready to feel its magic throughout the next few days. I mentioned that it was "the church." Jake got up to play with the band (a "de ja vu" from the sick Jam Cruise set in the Endless Summer lounge)... ANYWAY, what I'm trying to get to is the last jam they played was a Clapton-y, bluesy/gospel, soul-lifting organ-lead revival. It was amazing.

Ok, the Umphrey's show... Here is the setlists:

05.06.05 - Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, California
Set One: Example 1 > "Jimmy Stewart" > Great American > Mulche's Odyssey > Ocean Billy > Tribute to the Spinal Shaft > White Man's Moccasins > I Ran^
Set Two: Ringo^^ > "Jimmy Stewart" >
2x2* > Baby You're A Rich Man > Ringo > Atmosfarag, The Fussy Dutchman > Hysteria** > Resolution, Bright Lights
Encore: Hangover > Pipeline > Hangover
Notes:
Conspirator opened
^ with Aron Magner on keytar
^^ Kris broke his kick drum; Jake and Brendan played percussion; later, Jake switched to bass and Brendan switched to keys
* with Feels So Good tease
** one verse and chorus


This was so fun!!! Highlights for me: The "White Man's Moccasin's" into "I Ran" with Aron on keytar was really great. So fun to watch them all enjoying each other. Second set was sick sick... OK! THE 2X2!!! When they started playing it, I felt like I entered that special magic time machine. You know the machine of which I speak? The one that can only happen with music... When the music itself is timeless, you love it always, and it reminds you of the past, gives you glimpses of the future, and in the present, well all you can do is smile smile smile. Vince was standing next to me saying that it was this song that made him want to work for this band for the rest of his life.

And seeing Aron in the first set holding that keytar reminded me of the '80s which reminded me of Def Leppard and then, in the second set, little by little out came the "Hysteria" out of "The Fussy Dutchman." SO SICK!!!! I love these guys....

I was surprised they pulled out the "Hangover" so early in the weekend (full on with the break out the booty wax) - I figured they'd wait until Sunday for that one being that I expect we'll all be pretty hung over by then.

Ok, one down, two to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home