SuperDee's House

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Random Sunday Night Thoughts

Another crazy NYC weekend... Can't seem to collect my thoughts in a cohesive manner today so I thought I'd just share them in a somewhat aimless fashion.

1. They just said the word "jamband" on the Grammy's in presentation of the Grateful Dead's lifetime achievement award. A hush went over the crowd - not in awe but more like, "huh?" Billy and Mickey stood up to be acknowledged. They were waving excitedly and they kinda looked silly. Their moment was just that, a moment, and then Gnarls Barkley did a military-esque version of "Crazy."

2. Speaking of awards shows... The Plug Awards show at Irving Plaza was an eye opening experience for me. It's a nice scene they have there! There is a brushing of shoulders of what's going on there musically with what we've got over at JamBase. Lots of similar bands on their nominations as on our year end wrapup - much to the chagrin many of our jam-faithful readers that hate when we discover new and exciting music. How dare we?!

What I felt like I experienced last night was their community of music lovers very much like ours. Geeky ones, too. And there were more girls... Live girl blogging, girlie girl bass players, girl winners, and girl talk... The girls that blew me away the most were in Stephen Malkmus's band, The Jicks. The ladies provided the Jicks rhythm - Joanna Bolme on bass and Sleater-Kinney drummer Janet Weiss. Wow, they fucking kicked ass! Girl power!

2a. MALKMUS RULES! See ya in Florida, Jicks. Can't wait.

3. Emo is short for "emotional". I don't think I ever realized that. Discovered that at Midlake on Friday night at the Bowery.

4. The iConcertCal people have released their latest version of their iTunes app which I just downloaded today and it's super cool! They made friends with us at JamBase and are pulling tour dates from our system. Check it out!

5. Lionel Richie is performing "Hello" on the Grammys right now. Sweet!

6. I saw Brett Dennen for the first time last night at Joe's Pub. My good friend Steve Adams is playing bass in the band right now. I really enjoyed it. Great voice, great vibe. It just felt really nice - bringin' some Cali-soul into the cold city night.

7. Patron and orange juice is a very perilous cocktail.

8. Christina Aguilera is pretty damn impressive. Carrie Underwood is kinda lame. Mary J. Blige is one tough soul mama.

Ok, I think I've sufficiently dumped my brain for now. Have a great week out there...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruben Bailey said...

Funny, when I first moved here in 2001 I was in a yoga class with Johanna. She was super nice. You gotta love the rockin hot chicks, no? Malkmus was in there too one time, but I wasn't hip enough to know it was him!

10:35 PM  
Blogger SuperDee said...

wow! that's sweet! and i just read that joanna was elliot smith's girl for a while and it was partly thanks to her that basement on a hill saw the light of day. phew!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home