SuperDee's House

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tipitina's Foundation: Instruments A Comin'

Instruments A Comin' is an annual fundraiser held by the Tipitina's Foundation every Monday after the first weekend of JazzFest. I'm not usually here for this event but this year is different! I went to Tips to check it out and it was RIDICULOUS. Basically, it was about 6 or 7 legendary bands playing back-to-back 40 minute sets from about 6pm to 3am. We walked in just before Jon Cleary's set. Bonnie Raitt came and sat in for a few songs on vocals and guitar and it was extra sick. This was followed by an awesome set by the power group of New Orleans Social Club featuring Ivan Neville, Leo Nocentelli, Henry Butler, Raymond Webber, and the man, George Porter, Jr. Such heavy hitters!

Trombone Shorty's set was the one that really blew the roof off. This band is full of young and cocky prodigies lead by the enigmatic Troy Andrews. They were dressed all sassy and classy in all black and RIPPED a version of "Back in Black" that had me doing air trombone moves. Air bone? They played "Saints Go Marching In" full on with a crowd participation of "Whodat! Whodat! Whodat say they gonna beat them Saints?!" The place was going nuts! This might be my new favorite New Orleans band coming out of this year's JF.

Next up was Rebirth Brass Band who is always a fun time especially when they play fun songs like "Cassanova" - I ain't much on Cassanova, me and Romeo ain't never been friends. They did a great "Shoo fly don't bother me" with a man that looked like he could have written that billion year old song. I'll find his name for you... But man, I would not have wanted to be the band to follow that T-Bone set...

Walter Wolfman Washington closed out the show, as he always does, I believe. He was super soothing and groovy and I loved when he impressively played his guitar with his teeth! Great great great night. If you want to find out more about the work of the Tips Foundation, visit www.tipitinasfoundation.org. Here's one more pic of a brassy audience member:

It doesn't end here..... Stay tuned....

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Thank you so much for posting these photos.I wanted to go so bad but had to get back to work.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home