SuperDee's House

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Recent Literary and Culinary Pleasures

It's the little things, really. All I really need is an engrossing novel, well-priced delicious food and soul forgiving music to keep my engine running. I'd like to share a few of my favorite things as of late:

Literary
I just finished reading The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay which was recommended to me by JK in our little cross country virtual book club. Divided into three parts, this is a story of a boy named Peekay coming of age in 1930-1950's South Africa. So, we've got major historical things happening - Boer War aftermath, Hitler Germany and WWII, the buddings of Apartheid. And then you have this really small boy going through hell at age 5 in a boarding school and learning at this infant stage in life how to survive. His power grows with each new and colorful mentor that he (and we) meets along the way. "First with the head and then with the heart," is his mantra throughout the story. There is little I love more than a good piece of fiction with brilliant and richly described narrative. I just found that a movie was made about the book in 1992... I'm definitely interested in checking it out but I don't want to ruin the absoloodle perfection of this story so I may skip it.

Culinary
Now that I've been living in "South Slope" for almost 8 months (wow), I've discovered that you don't necessarily have to go northbound for a good meal. Just a few blocks away on 6th avenue at 20th street is a great little spot called The Kitchen Bar. I have eaten here twice now and both times were a great experience across the board. Friendly and young staff, funky decor, warm vibe and... deliciousness. They've got a few neighborhood-y weekly events - weekend brunch (which I'm ready to try), Monday wine tasting, live music on Thursdays. Yummy comfort foods with a little extra bit of attention like tapas burgers with goat cheese, the most amazing "deconstructing" Caesar featuring the leaves instead of the hearts of the romaine, and, a staple in my book, mac'n'cheese (with bacon crust). It's sort of like my little Maverick away from SF.

That's all for now... Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home