SuperDee's House

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Walkin' to New Orleans (through Park Slope)

It's a relatively quiet night on 5th Avenue in Park Slope and it's beginning to rain. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a little blur of purple and green. It's a woman sitting outside of a bar untangling strings of beads. She looks up at me and smiles and says, "Happy Mardi Gras!" Oh right! It's Fat Tuesday! And I'm on my way to see what's happening at Union Hall for Mardi Gras Brooklyn. It's quiet outside but when I walk inside, I'm somehow on Bourbon Street. Brooklyn's own Hungry March Band is raging on the bocce ball courts and the place is packed. Balloons, beads, masks, feathers, the works. I see a neighborhood yoga instructor GETTING DOWN with her friends to the music. Yep, the freaks are definitely out tonight.

I made it in time to see The Dansettes downstairs. Their plan was to mix their own music with some covers from the Crescent City. I first saw The Dansettes perform at the Freaks Ball a few weeks ago - I love this band! Hipster meets R&B - a Brooklyn version of The Commitments, if you will. They nailed the covers and I just want to share this one video with you all today. It's The Dansettes performing their cover of "Don't Change Nothing" by Mary Jane Hooper:



Les bon temps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home